Occupational Medicine Clinic in Gallatin, TN
Occupational medicine professionals at Firefly Health After Hours Urgent Care examine and treat employment injuries and diseases. Our dedicated and experienced team is here to provide exceptional care at your convenience. If you would like more information, you can contact us or schedule an appointment online. We are conveniently located at 1483 Nashville Pike Suite 302, Gallatin, TN 37066.
Table of Contents:
An occupational medicine specialist is someone who is knowledgeable about the health hazards that various job titles can pose and is trained to identify and treat workplace health and safety concerns. Occupational medicine specialists advise employers about the safety and health practices that should be put in place to reduce the risk of illness or injury and to assist with prevention. The work of an occupational medicine specialist may also include evaluating medical exams and tests from workers, such as x-rays, MRIs, and blood work.
Occupational medicine is the medical specialty concerned with preventing illness and injury in workers, particularly in the workplace or while performing job-related duties. Medical professionals who specialize in occupational medicine are often referred to as “occupational medicine physicians” (OMP). An OMP is a physician who is licensed to practice medicine in a specific state and who is board certified, board eligible, or eligible for certification in a particular sub-specialty. An OMP’s day-to-day activities typically involve examining patients, conducting physical examinations, and writing treatments for their patients.
The field of occupational medicine is important because it helps protect the health of people who are in dangerous occupations. It also helps prevent injuries and diseases in those who work in these occupations, which can save lives and reduce the cost of healthcare.
Another reason this medical field is important is that occupational medicine physicians are often called upon to advise their patients on improving their health, reducing their risk of injury, and reducing their work-related disability.
Occupational medicine is the branch of medicine that focuses on the health of people who work, especially those who work in jobs that require physical exertion and exposure to hazards such as chemicals, machinery, and hazardous equipment.
Occupational medicine physicians have a long list of important roles and responsibilities, including preserving the health and well-being of the workers, as well as evaluating the interaction between work and health. They also must:
• Know worksite operations
• Promote health in the workplace and lifestyles
• Help prevent work-related ill health and injuries
• Improve attendance and performance of the workforce
• Be familiar with the toxic properties of materials
• Be familiar with the hazards and stressors of work-related processes
• Determine an employee’s physical and emotional abilities
• Advise on fitness, workplace safety, prevention of occupational injuries, and disease
• Diagnose and treat occupational diseases and handle injuries
• Possess knowledge of rehabilitation methods
• Provide rehabilitation to help individuals return to work
• Recommend/implement policies to maintain a safe and healthy workplace
• Advise on alternative suitable work for people with health problems
• Recommend adjustments in the workplace to help people stay at work
• Know workers’ compensation laws; local, state, and federal
• Be able to organize and manage the delivery of health services
• Conduct research into work-related health issues
• Ensure compliance with health and safety regulations
• Advise on medical health and ill-health retirement
There is a virtually endless list of conditions that can occur as a result of occupational hazards, the most common of which include:
• Hearing Loss
• Skin disorders, such as:
• Contact dermatitis
• Skin cancer
• Contact Dermatitis
• Respiratory problems, which can be caused by:
• Toxic gasses
• Polluted air
If you or someone you love has been injured or become ill from workplace exposure, the professionals at Firefly Health After Hours Urgent Care are here to help. Call us today or book an appointment with our occupational medicine specialist, or visit our clinic conveniently located at 1483 Nashville Pike Suite 302, Gallatin, TN 37066. We serve patients from Gallatin TN, Cottontown TN, Shackle Island TN, Graball TN, Bethpage TN, Castalian Springs TN, Laguardo TN, Hendersonville TN, Portland TN, Mt. Juliet TN, and BEYOND!!